For more than 32 years, Karen Conti has been a dynamic and influential attorney in the local and national legal community. Karen has intensive and diverse trial experience from the Circuit Court of Cook County to the U.S. Supreme Court. At the same time, Karen has exceptional negotiation skills which allow her to quickly and creatively settle matters with the least possible expenditure of time and money. She is formally trained and certified as a mediator and in collaborative law. Karen’s handling of numerous high-profile cases has created her reputation for fierce advocacy among judges and other lawyers.
Karen now concentrates much of her practice in family law, where she has gained prominence among her peers and the bench. She was appointed by Illinois House Speaker to assist in redrafting the new family laws that took effect in Illinois in 2016. She was solely responsible for the statute regarding grounds for divorce, which modernizes and streamlines the dissolution of a marriage. Karen was a keynote speaker at the Family Rights Rally at the Lincoln Monument in Washington, D.C. on the issue of child custody and parental alienation. As a former partner with the prestigious family law firm of Beermann LLP, she handled cases from the highest net worth clients to simple matters of dissolution of marriage and entertainment. She has represented sports celebrities, politicians, police officers, teachers, artists and stay-at-home mothers.
Karen further distinguishes herself from other lawyers because she is in constant contact with her clients. She and the client discuss goals and devise a game plan. This gives the case direction and allows Karen to prepare aggressively for hearings and arguments, achieving the very best results.
Some of Karen’s other accomplishments include:
- Member of the Illinois, California, and U.S. Supreme Court bars
- Handled a successful appeal before the U.S. Supreme Court in a nationally-followed election dispute
- Represented a convicted serial killer in his death row appeals
- Adjunct Professor of Law at University of Illinois (15 years) and DePaul University (7 years)
- Taught and lectured at Stanford University and American University in Washington, D.C.
- Won a million dollar plus jury verdict against a nationally-prominent home builder
- 40 under 40 Illinois Attorneys to Watch by Chicago Lawyer Magazine
- One of the 100 Women Making a Difference in Chicago by Today’s Chicago Woman
- Outstanding Alumni of the Year, Distinguished Graduate Award at University of Illinois College of Law
- Leading Lawyer, part of a network of elite lawyers in the State
- Recipient of the Impresa Award from the Joint Civic Committee of Italian Americans
For over 23 years, Karen has been a part of the local and national media. Her name recognition lends her instant credibility and authority wherever she practices. Among Karen’s vast media experience:
- CNN: Regular legal commentator for over 10 years
- Fox Chicago, Legal Analyst on local Fox affiliate, giving weekly commentary on diverse issues such as family law, business matters, criminal cases, and appellate decisions.
- Regular appearances on MSNBC, Fox News, The O’Reilly Factor, truTV, and other media venues
- Over 20 years of experience in hosting and producing radio talk shows including “Chicago Law” on WJJD, “Legally Speaking” on WGN Radio in Chicago
- Currently host of “The Karen Conti Show” on WGN Radio
- Columnist for Chicago Daily Law Bulletin
- Winner of numerous awards for radio broadcast including Achievement in Radio for Best Public Affairs and a Kogan Award
- 2010 Chicago’s Most Fit Lawyer.